Scope of works:
The proposed Whitchurch Road was located in part on the site of a former stone quarry.
The development was to be constructed on a steeply sloping site directly adjacent to a public park on one side and an existing public highway on the other. A retirement home was located directly on the site boundary.
The works involved the excavation and ‘terracing’ of the site and removal of earthworks arisings. Storm water sewers up to 1050mm diameter were constructed along with foul water sewers including sewer connections in the existing highway.
The majority of the drainage was constructed in rock (limestone) which required the use of percussive breakers. The scheme also involved dealing with a quantity of contaminated soils which had been left following the backfilling of the former quarry.
Absolute Civil Engineering Ltd were engaged as Principal Contractor to Barratt North East.
Principal activities included:-
- Earthworks and terracing of the site for development.
- Sewer connection works in the public highway.
- Construction of storm sewers up to 1050mm diameter (storage of storm water by hydro brake) including 1800mm diameter chambers up to 6 metres deep.
- Installation of foul sewers.
- Excavation in rock, capping, ducts and dense bit macadam road construction.
- Dealing with contaminated soils on site.
- Attendances to statutory services installations.
Get a copy of the project report here.