Scope of works:
Reclamation Roads and Sewers
The development was for 24 new homes on a formerly developed, brown field (Charleton Fencing) site. Enablement works required the upgrading of an access (including highway widening and re-surfacing, provision of passing bays, signage etc) and careful tree felling and clearance on and adjacent to the site.
Site investigation identified the presence of underground mine workings which had to be treated by drilling and grouting.
The soils on site were contaminated with metals and hydrocarbons which were duly excavated, pre-treated and removed to a licensed facility. Made ground on site had to be uplifted, screened, crushed and re-engineered to make up levels on the site.
Following completion of the Reclamation Phase, Roads & Sewers (including site attenuation) were installed to facilitate the follow on housing development.
Due to the poor nature of soils at depth, the proposed dwellings had to be piled using a vibro stone column solution in order to achieve a suitable ground bearing capacity.
Absolute Civil Engineering Ltd worked as Principal Contractor to Barratt North East.
Principal activities included:-
- Access junction and road improvements on the public highway.
- Asbestos removal and subsequent demolition of several buildings on site.
- Treatment and controlled disposal of ground contamination.
- Drilling and grouting of shallow mine workings.
- Processing and re-engineering of made ground for re-use in the works.
- Construction of foul and storm sewers.
- Construction of estate roads.
- Construction of boundary retaining walls to the site to facilitate levels.
Get a copy of the project report here.