Matthew joined Absolute Civil Engineering directly from sixth form as an apprentice quantity surveyor in September 2017.
HND in Construction and the Built Environment. Matthew is currently studding for a Quantity Surveyor degree at Newcastle University
Being relatively new to the construction industry, Matthew quickly began to learn the basics regarding construction works on a live site and the impact it would have on his job role. “The experience I have gained, and am still gaining from this job, is helping me progress to become a qualified quantity surveyor.”
Most memorable or unusual job to date
“Taking over the contract for the Regents Park housing development in Consett. Also the Consett Heritage Trail from inception to completion:
- Created a budget for the project
- Managed costs throughout the construction phase
- Oversaw the ordering of bespoke features for the trail such as bridges, signage and seats.
- Worked closely with the client to ensure a quality product was handed over.
- Produced weekly cost-value reconciliations of the works being completed on the 7 different sections to ensure that ongoing costs were known.”
What is the biggest benefit for clients working with Absolute Civil Engineering?
“ACE stands apart from other companies as they have a view of progressing staff and encouraging development. They work with their staff to bring out their best and devote time and effort to employees to aid their development. ACE continually aim to improve their employees in anyway that they can, by promoting further training and supporting them. This is reflected in the standard of the work that is produced and the continual relationships that ACE maintain with their clients.”